If you’ve jumped on the clean eating bandwagon this year then first off, welcome aboard, second it’s a lot of work right?!
By now you’ve probably looked into this food prepping thing most of us clean eaters do. If you haven’t then let me explain. Food prepping is where you prep your meals in batches for the entire week, or for 4 days at a time like I do. That means I only actually cook twice a week.
Yeah, you read that right. I cook and prep snacks into pre-portioned containers on Sundays and Thursdays. The rest of the week I just grab and go. That’s the secret to maintaining a clean diet!
While I don’t recommend going out and buying a bunch of stuff you may or may not use, there are a few essential things you will need to make this whole prepping and eating clean thing easier on you.
Food Prep Essentials:
- Food Scale this one is a necessity. You just can’t get precise macro’s without weighing out your portions. The link I provided is to the one I own and have been using for over 2 years. I like it because it came with the bowl. You can of course get a cheaper scale without the bowl if your budget requires it.
- Food storage containers the ones linked here are what I started out with. The three compartments make it super easy to carry everything in one package. After a while they do begin to crack, but they are still good starter containers. Glass containers are what I use now and they have lasted a very long time. If you can afford it, I highly suggest going with glass.
- Oil sprayer This one is not a must have. I do highly recommend it though. It’s much easier to use less oils when cooking if you use a sprayer bottle. Then you don’t over pour or use more than actually needed to coat the pan.
- Insulated lunch bag the tool to carry all of that food you prepped in is an absolute must have. How else are you going to take all those goodies to work with you! I like this one because it doesn’t look like a diet tool or a kids lunch pail.
- Veggie spiralizer you need this one for making pasta alternatives. If you’re anything like me a diet without spaghetti is a no go. Zoodles are a thing and yes they taste great! I’ve even eaten ramen made with zoodles and loved it.
- Instant pot this thing will make your life so much easier. Especially since prepping involves cooking multiple meals at once. You can always throw a meal in the instant pot while you cook another on the stove.
- Crock pot the tried and true slow cooker. This is another tool to be able to set a meal and walk away. This one in particular is also programmable so you don’t have to worry about actually forgetting the meal.
- Sous vide okay, so most preppers don’t use a sous vide. I however, do. I love not having to sacrifice quality for quantity when prepping my meals. The sous vide gives me another tool to be able to set and forget a meal. It just does it with precision and leaves behind a food that is tender, flavorful, and downright to die for.
- Ninja blender I refuse to have multiple gadgets I don’t HAVE to have cluttering up counter space. So I went with this ninja because it duals as a blender and a food processor. Plus it’s a ninja who doesn’t trust them?
- Water bottle you are about to be packing a ton of water and whatever other beverage you will be consuming throughout the day. I recommend having multiple bottles to carry it in. This 6 pack of glass bottles at only $21 is not too shabby.
You do not require all of the items on my list. The scale, storage containers, lunch bag, and water bottles are absolutely necessary though.
The rest of those items will just make your clean eating life a little easier. Which is why if you can afford it, then check them out!
Let me know in the comments below if you have any clean eating gadgets that are must haves!!